Replacing a vehicle’s windshield correctly is crucial when it comes to ensuring the safety of the driver and occupants of the vehicle. Because a vehicle’s structural integrity depends on the windshield, it is of the utmost importance to not cut corners and do the work right. When it comes to installing windshields, it is very important that the glass is fitted just right to eliminate any risk of leaks or noise from entering the cabin. This is why we use two auto glass technicians per job to make sure that it is installed properly.
Today we are going to tell you about how we handle replacements at Apex Auto Glass & Tinting. Like most people, you probably don’t think about the process behind a windshield replacement every time you need one completed. However, your curious mind has brought you to this article and we are here to provide you with some answers. Although each vehicle type can be slightly different in terms of installation, every install is completed mostly the same way here. This our process:
- Inspect the new glass – Each windshield must be thoroughly inspected to ensure no pressure cracks or chips
- Inspect the vehicle – Take before/after pictures of the areas you will be working in to ensure that no damage occurred during installation
- Disassemble Parts – Take off the parts that are in the way of removing and installing glass. This could be the cowl, wiper blades, moldings, etc.
- Prepare Glass – Make sure glass is cleaned up and ready to be installed
- Remove the old windshield
- Partially remove old urethane – It is important to leave a small layer of the old urethane behind as it forms a stronger bond with the new urethane being used.
- Add new urethane to the old – Always make sure to use an electric caulking gun to give a consistent bead of urethane and minimize gaps and air pockets.
- Set windshield – Place the windshield in and make sure that it seals properly
- Reassemble the parts that were removed in the 3rd step.
There you have it! You now know the basics about windshield replacement. Although we have given you a list of steps on how a replacement should go, we HIGHLY advise you to use a professional instead of attempting to do the job yourself. Like every trade and craft, glass installation requires a certain amount of experience and finess to do properly. Our technicians have spent years working with vehicles of all types and are able to adapt these steps to any vehicle.
If you need a windshield installed on your vehicle or have any other auto glass needs, call Apex Auto Glass & Tinting. We have the most professional and skilled technicians on the Central Coast.