If you are reading this, then you are likely looking for a new and promising career opportunity. There is a growing need for auto glass technicians and with new technologies emerging in the auto glass industry, the skill set required for this position continues to grow. However, there is no need to worry about not having these skills, many glass shops will take in apprentices to teach you everything you need to advance to the more lucrative career of auto glass technician.
What kind of person fits best in this role?
A career in auto glass installation is not for everyone, it can be challenging, precise, and always requires a sense of professionalism.
- If you are a person who has a natural love of cars and trucks, then this could be one reason that you might like working in this industry. As a technician, you would be repairing and replacing glass on vehicles of all classes.
- If you are a person who enjoys working with your hands and loves to see the fruits of your labor, then this would also be a good indicator that you would enjoy a career as an auto glass technician.
- If you enjoy having weekends off, then you are in luck! Most auto glass shops operate M-F and so you can enjoy weekends at home with your friends and family.
What does a day in the life of an auto glass technician look like?
- Because this job requires you to drive to different locations and work on various vehicle types, no day ever looks the same in the life of an auto glass technician
- Usually, technicians arrive at the shop location, first thing in the morning and prep their vehicles for the day. Here, they look at all their scheduled stops for the day and load up the glass needed for their jobs.
- After everything is loaded up, they head out in their van and start completing their scheduled jobs.
- At the end of their last job, they head back to the shop and clean up their vans and complete their cash out.
How can you get a job as an installer?
If you want to get a job as an auto glass installer you can start by looking to see if the local glass shops in your area need some help. If you don’t have glass experience, ask about starting an apprenticeship.
Here at Apex Auto Glass & Tinting, we are constantly looking for good candidates for either apprenticeship and/or experienced technicians.
Interested in starting a career in auto glass in the Santa Maria area, give us a call!